• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPC exam prep - going from 2012 to 2013

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
I will be taking CPC exam for the first time on Dec. 1st. If I was to have to repeat the test a 2nd time in early 2013, will the exam be drastically different enough that I would need to order CPC exam review book, new practice tests, as well as 2013 CCO Blitz, all for 2013 ? I have already ordered 2013 ICD 9, HCPCS, & CPT manuals for 2013. Thank you.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Worst case you would not have to start over. Yes, the exam will change. Guidelines do change every year but keep in mind the AAPC is aware of this and I don't think change in guidelines is behind the point. I have had students use the previous year manuals to test and do fine. They suggest you use the current manuals. If you purchased the Blitz videos after Oct. 15 you get the 2013 version free.

Best of luck on your exam Dec. 1st. December is a huge test month for the very reason you mentioned so you may have lots of people testing at the same time you are.

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Worst case you would not have to start over. Yes, the exam will change. Guidelines do change every year but keep in mind the AAPC is aware of this and I don't think change in guidelines is behind the point. I have had students use the previous year manuals to test and do fine. They suggest you use the current manuals. If you purchased the Blitz videos after Oct. 15 you get the 2013 version free.

Best of luck on your exam Dec. 1st. December is a huge test month for the very reason you mentioned so you may have lots of people testing at the same time you are.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Alicia, can you use Blitz videos as a refresher even though you are already certified? If you do it online, will you get the update versions every year without having to pay for a new set? Thanks!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I'll jump in here, and let Alicia add her comments when she gets a chance...
You can certainly use the Blitz videos to help you review even if you are certified. There is no provision for getting free updates with the online version (or the DVD version). However, you can certainly update your new books using tips from the previous year's Blitz videos and just adjust your highlight and bubbling as needed. You may miss some new information, but you will still benefit from doing this.

terriln

practice quiz question on coding ESRD for 45 yr old patient undergoing outpatient treatment for 2 weeks. The answer key states it should be 90925. Looking under dialysis for codes all of the answers to choose from on the quiz have been deleted from my 2012 CPT book. I am confused on how they came up with that answer when the CPT book for 2012 for a patient that is 20 & older to use range 90960-90960, 90966, 90970. Can you help me understand? I wouldn't know how to answer a question like that if it came up on actual CPC exam.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
When you take the CPC exam, you can write in your exam booklet. If you see an answer that is not what you are looking for, you can dispute it and AAPC will look into that answer. When you write your comments at the end of the exam, tell them to look at the question in the booklet. When I took the exam, I never had a question that I couldn't answer.